Building brain power for your child this summer
April 19, 2016 | Author: Arva Shikari
Top 4 summer activities for preschoolers & early school children
Children in preschool and early school face academic challenges like learning to read and write, social challenges like making friends, building self-esteem, and physical challenges of strengthening gross/fine motor skills. In order to overcome these challenges parents would always prefer an overall development of their child. However, any concept learned at this stage becomes a life time reality for children. Besides, any activity that a child would perform contributes to his brain development as well. Thus, parents could make concerted efforts in this direction to achieve the desired objectives by choosing the right activities for learning to enhance overall brain development.
Nevertheless, parents need to beware of the myth that any activity would independently develop the right or the left brain. For overall neural development, both the right and left hemispheres of the brain need to work in sync. For instance, if the left hemisphere provides you with a correct word order like “I have dancing feet” instead of “I dancing feet have.” This happens in coordination with the right hemisphere as it helps in sourcing the inferred meaning, wherein a speaker doesn’t exactly have dancing feet but, has difficulty in physical coordination. Research in neuroimaging has concluded that many facets of language processing are done by both the hemispheres of the brain. Besides language processing, many other tasks also for instance, creative writing, or learning to play football or an instrument such as a piano is accomplished with the help of both hemispheres.
Thus, to provide a wholesome stimulation for determining a resilient mind-body nerve pathway here are top four activities that parents of four to seven years old children could consider this summer.
- Learning to play the game of inches
Football being a physically dominated sport, it builds physical power in children in terms of speed, agility, stamina, hand, eye and foot co-ordination, and most of all develops cardiovascular endurance. This strengthens the child to overcome the physical challenges of childhood like running to board his school bus, carrying school books, and/or bending to tie his shoe laces.
Further, football is an inches game and the child would need to understand the margin of error as it would essentially need attention on field. Any mental errors could affect the game less positively. Also, it disciplines the child as everyone is working on the same goal. This is a vital asset that would get ingrained for the rest of his life. Besides, blood flow increases in the brain infusing a sharp mental focus and alertness. The physical exercise that a child undergoes while playing football creates new brain cells, which enhances memory and faster reaction time.
Apart from memory enhancement, it helps children at school in learning reading, writing, math that requires concentration and attention control. In addition to academic benefits, sports like football helps in increasing cognitive flexibility, and the ability of the brain to yield creative, original thoughts.
Top two picks for learning football during summer by Findurclass.com are:
- Sports Reconnect works with sports coaches in the field of Table Tennis, Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, Badminton, Football etc. across Mumbai to provide the best sports training and education to meet the ever growing needs of children and school alike. An all-round player development: on and off-court skills, physical and mental conditioning etc. are all crucial elements and integral parts of the coaching curriculum.
- Soccer Schools of Excellence is a grassroots dedicated Youth Football Academy in Mumbai. It has adopted Football games, drills and practices from various schools of thought; therefore, has a unique curriculum that is designed to strictly deliver appropriate sessions.
- Learning scientific concepts to induce problem solving skills
Have parents heard curious questions like “Why is the leaf green?” “Why are stars in the sky?” and so on. This is the right time your child could to be exposed to experiment and practice for vital brain development and evolution of skills by performing different activities in astronomy, physics, chemistry and/or robotics. Parents may think our child is too young for this; but, if you have observed closely most children are natural scientists. Their curiosity probably leads to many broken toys.
By learning scientific concepts at an early age, children get the opportunity to wear their thinking caps to think what would happen to something even before it happens like a hypothesis. This induces a combination of skills such as problem-solving and researching. On the other hand, science has a unique way of sparking ideas in young children's minds that would empower them to create solutions to problems occurring later in life.
Top three picks for joining a science club in summer by Findurclass.com are:
- I Robo Kids believe Robotics to be the 4th R in the education system after Reading, Writing & Arithmetic. It aims at giving an early introduction to children in sciences of electronics, mechanics, engineering & software in a friendly, pleasing and interesting way.
- The Science Adventure is formulated to cater to young minds in the field of science. The kids get a real buzz out of these amazing hands-on experiments.
- Children’s Technology Workshop is a special science education centre for children. They have fun learning, exploring, and making mistakes. Children learn from their experience here.
- Learning to think out-of-the-box through creative writing
Prior to transitioning into preschool or early school kids have heard stories, rhymes, poems from their mothers and other adults. They are tuned to them already; creative writing provides them a platform to generate their own stories. It broadens their thought process and also facilitates them in thinking about using one word in different ways.
Creative writing also develops a child’s brain by stimulating children to imagine and think outside of the box. The possibility of constructing story ideas may come from the right hemisphere of the brain but, putting the story together may come from the left hemisphere. Both hemispheres jointly contribute to the writer’s thinking at every stage of writing a story or essay.
Children could see the world differently through creative writing. It also teaches them to empathize not only with their characters in the story but, with others in the real world, too. They would be able to express their thoughts and ideas safely as well.
The most important aspect of creative writing is it develops the skills to read and write. It also improves grammar. Later, in life, apart from writing professionally, it would help in building proficiency of their verbal language as well.
Top two picks for creative writing classes during summer by Findurclass.com are:
- Creatiwitty Inc.’s goal is to bring to the fore and enhance inherent creativity in children. They can express creatively and communicate effectively.
- The Class Room - Brainy Brats is an early childhood education center in Mumbai. It uses new techniques and innovative, yet scientific methods to improve the communication and creative writing skills of children.
- Learning to play Piano to boost acoustic receptiveness
Between playing football and/or joining a science club, learning how to play a piano complements brain development of your child in different ways.
Scientifically it is proven that learning to play a piano affects the auditory cortex of the brain that processes sounds. Research findings say that an individual playing a piano displays more brain activity in this region of the brain. Studies confirm that early childhood piano education enhances motor and auditory skills of children. Further, it facilitates in establishing connections between the neurons in the brain leading to a continuous development in certain parts of the brain. Their acoustic receptiveness becomes better. For example, distinction of pitches and tones like - a perfect fifth may generate one reaction in the brain, while a seventh would give another reaction.
Additionally, the child’s verbal ability and nonverbal reasoning improves.
Researchers have found that neural firing patterns that are similar to musical patterns boost brain functioning. Piano lessons could in all probability enable children to score higher in general and spatial tests. They also have the ability to keep your child away from stress, anxiety and/or depression.
It also develops coordination owing to the movement of both hands, independently and simultaneously. In addition, it keeps your child’s mind sharp. Separate hand coordination invigorates different areas of the brain. Along with coordination, the child becomes perfect in timing, which is needed to play all the relevant keys at the same time in sync with the rhythm. This also makes children ready for other interests such as dance and sports.
Top three picks for piano classes during summer by Findurclass.com are:
- Furtados School of Music pioneers in innovative and revolutionary methods of teaching and learning music.
- Spectrum Academy imparts music, dance, art and craft lessons to students of all age groups and skill level. It has well experienced and trained teachers to guide each student individually to educate and also to make them a good performer.
- Ujjwal Music Classes provide music training on numerous musical instruments like Casio, Harmonium, Flute, Violin, Mendolin, Guitar, Tabla, Djembe, Octopad, Drums and many more.
Subscribe to Findurclass
We send out a lovely email newsletter with the most popular stories.
Connect with us
Like us on Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus